Update Manager for HP Client Automation
Managing Hewlett Packard Client Automation Center (HP CA previously known as HP OVCM and Radia) connections for some users can present a challenge. In many HP CA environments, laptop users are inundated with updates as soon as they connect their laptops to the network or switch on their desktops after a break.
Sometimes a user may just want to check email before a meeting but may end up with several large updates being delivered to their laptop or PC instead. While this is not a desirable situation what worsens it is that the user may have actually connected to the corporate network using a low bandwidth connection.
Find out more about Update Manager below or <download a brochure>:
All about Update Manager:
Update Manager was developed to cater for all end users, allowing them some control over when updates take place whilst still giving the HP CA Administration Team the power to force certain types of updates where appropriate.
Intelligently display software update information
Update Manager runs as a system tray utility only disturbing the user
when there is update information.
On launch, Update Manager attempts a HP CA connection to establish the amount of bandwidth available from the client PC to the HP CA Configuration Server. Depending on this figure and the configuration of Update Manager, further connections are made to obtain a list of operating system patch and application updates.
A Popup Alert is then displayed to inform the user whether any updates are pending for their PC.
Updates Outstanding (Normal View)
In the Normal View a summary of the total updates available is shown, the user can click on the summary (underlined in blue) to be taken to the Update Manager Main Window where they can find out further details about the updates and defer them. Alternatively the user can select the View Toggle latch button to select the Advanced View.
All about Update Manager continued:
Updates Outstanding (Advanced View)
Using the Advanced View, the user can obtain more information about the pending updates quickly without opening the Update Manager Main Window. The number of updates is summarised by type (Mandatory or Optional)
The user can then choose to defer any Optional updates by selecting a defer time from the dropdown box and clicking OK.
Update Manager Main Window
The user can display the Update Manager Main Window at any stage by right-clicking the System Tray icon. The status bar of the Main Window displays a detailed description of current action being undertaken by Update Manager. In the Main Window the user is shown a list of outstanding updates and given the option to defer any updates which have been flagged as optional by the HP CA Administrators. The OK button displays the remaining time in seconds that the user has to defer any optional updates; The button is auto-clicked when the counter reaches zero.
Update Manager offers the following features:
- Easy Configuration
- Update Manager is easy to implement and customise
- Update Manager is easy to implement and customise
- Requires No Infrastructure Changes
- Update Manager requires no changes to your
HPCA services or infrastructure
- Update Manager requires no changes to your HPCA services or infrastructure
- Update Profiles
- Update Manager can be used to schedule all of your different updates,
attended or unattended by users
- Update Manager can be used to schedule all of your different updates, attended or unattended by users
- User Update Deferral
- Allows for user deferral of applications defined as non-critical by the
HP CA Administrators with configurable times
- Allows for user deferral of applications defined as non-critical by the HP CA Administrators with configurable times
- Full Logging of Actions
- Pre and Post Update Actions
- Can execute other programs or scripts before and/or after
- Can execute other programs or scripts before and/or after processing updates
- Easily Customisable
- Can be customised with corporate graphics
- Customisable messages and multi-language support
- Notification Area Utility
- HP CA Administrator Definable Update Types
- Allows for the definition of critical, normal, mandatory and
- Allows for the definition of critical, normal, mandatory and optional updates
- Bandwidth Aware
- Independent customisable bandwidth thresholds for each update
- Independent customisable bandwidth thresholds for each update type
- Supports Patch Manager and Application Manager Updates
- Based on Proven Technology
- Update Manager is based upon Connection Manager which has an installed user base in the tens of thousands
Update Manager is available directly from KN3 and via our distribution partners.
Single User License Options
|UM001||Single user license 1-999 users|
|UM002||Single user license 1,000 - 2,499 users|
|UM003||Single user license 2,500 - 4,999 users|
|UM004||Single user license 5,000 - 9,999 users|
|UM005||Single user license 10,000 - 24,999 users|
|UM006||Single user license > 25,000 users|
|UM020||Annual Support (first year free)
Includes free product updates
|UM021||Support Incident 5 call pack
1 hour initial telephone response
24 hour email response
1 authorised contact per client
Operating Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00 GMT
|UM022||On-site Engineer Support (UK Only). Standard work days|
|UM023||On-site Engineer Support (UK Only). Weekends and Bank Holidays|